Sunday Jul 07 07:00 PM
Wednesday Jul 10 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $10.00
General Admission: $12.00
About the Film:
Part of Honolulu Surf Film Festival 2019.
Directed by Rick Wall. 2018. South Africa. 53 min.
Satori documents a close-knit group of surfers who have dedicated their lives to the ocean and riding the huge waves on the shores of picturesque Cape Town, South Africa. Their passion is riding huge waves at two surf breaks situated in South peninsula, the infamous Dungeons below the sentinel mountain in Hout Bay and Sunset Reef 1km out to sea off the small seaside village of Kommetjie. While each surfer is surfing these waves for different reasons, the film discovers that there is a connection that they all feel and believe in.
Directed by Mikey Corker and Alex Laurel. 2019. Portugal. 13 min.
Award-winning filmmakers Mikey Corker and Alex Laurel teamed-up with The Red Bulletin and spent the winter documenting an unknown hero of the world’s most famous big wave venue—Praia do Norte, Nazaré, Portugal. His name is Sérgio Cosme and he’s been a professional driver his whole life, beginning with motocross and ending with rally car racing. But in the last five years, Cosme has focused on being a rescue jet ski driver on the biggest days at Nazaré. Out-running 20+ meter mountains of swell to save up the surfers attempting to ride them, Cosme has placed himself in one of the highest stakes positions in sport—and all of it for little money or accolades. Why risk so much for so little?
- Surf Cinema Nugs 2019
- Thank You Mother
- Board Shorts
- Heavy Water
- Rising Tide with Zak Noyle
- Family Film Sunday: Johnny T…
- PAIGE + TROUBLE: The Lisa An…
- Coldwater Journal
- Time Well Spent
- Everything in Between + From…
- Transcending Waves | La Ola …
- The Endless Summer II–25th A…
- In Dancing Days of Dawn
- Beyond the Noise + EOS
- Gun Ho!
- Opening Night: The Shiny Shr…
- Just Friends (Gewoon Vrienden)
- APQFFA Spotlight Film: House…
- Women’s/Queer Shorts Showcase
- Fireflies (Luciernagas)
- Gay Chorus Deep South
- Wild (Sauvage)
- The Garden Left Behind
- Women’s Centerpiece Film: Vi…
- Men’s Centerpiece Film: Gian…
- Before You Know It
- Tell It to the Bees
- Deep in Vogue
- Closing Night: Papi Chulo
- APQFFA Shorts Showcase 2019
- Men’s Shorts Showcase
- An Almost Ordinary Summer (C…
- World Premiere/Festival Fina…